How to contact the IRS internationally – Updated 2012.

Below, you will find the only way for a Canadian person / organization to contact the IRS for personal, business or FATCA information.  If you live in the US, you can call from anywhere, toll-free, and discuss tax issues and I think it’s about time they extend the same courtesy to Canada, eh?

See the IRS contact information below from the IRS website;,,id=101292,00.html

International Services:

If you are a taxpayer who lives outside the United States, the IRS has full-time permanent staff in 4 U.S. embassies and consulates. These offices have tax forms and publications, can help you with account problems, and answer your questions about notices and bills. You can reach these offices at the following telephone numbers, which include country or city codes if you are outside the local dialing area.

If you are calling about an e-file issue and it is not account related, please contact the
e-help Austin at 512-416-7750. Assistance is available from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday.

Frankfurt IRS

U. S. Consulate Frankfurt
Giessener Str. 30
60435 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Tel: [49] (69) 7535-3834
FAX: [49] (69) 7535-3803
M-F 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Closed U.S. and German Holidays)


Internal Revenue Service, United States Embassy
24/31 Grosvenor Square
London W1A 1AE
United Kingdom Walk-In assistance available
Tuesday through Thursday
9:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Phone Service
Tel: [44] (207) 894-0476
9 a.m. to Noon. Monday through Friday
FAX: [44] (207) 495-4224

Paris United States Embassy/IRS
2 Avenue Gabriel
75382 Paris Cedex 08, France
Walk-In assistance 9:00 a.m.- noon
Phone service: M-F 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Tel. [33] (01) 4312-2555
Fax: [33] (01) 4312-2303

The IRS offices listed can answer your federal income tax questions, help with account and refund problems, and assist with the preparation of current and prior year tax returns.

IRS trained volunteers are also available at some embassy/consulate locations. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact one of our IRS offices.

Taxpayers located outside the US (read: CANADA) may also contact the IRS by mail at:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 920
Bensalem, PA 19020

Or you may telephone or FAX the Philadelphia Service Center office at:

Tel: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: 267-941-1055

Phone service available from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm (EST) M-F

Residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may contact the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040. (Hours of Operation 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday – Friday).

Other items of potential interest:

International Taxpayer Advocate:
To request Taxpayer Advocate help, call:

Worldwide: Puerto Rico office:
Tel: (Spanish) 787-622-8930, (English) 787-622-8940
FAX: 787-622-8933


Author: Warren Orlans

Welcome to inTAXicating. My name is Warren Orlans and this is my blog. With over 17-years experience in the taxation industry, 11 of them working for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), and the rest working in the private sector at large financial institutions responsible for resolving tax issues for corporations and individuals and the Canadian lead for a large US bank on FATCA implementation. My tax career began pretty much out of university at the CRA, in Collections, where I moved up, across, over and up again through their division with stops in Enforcement, Taxpayer Relief (then Fairness), Audit, Directors Liability, Training, Mentoring, GST, GST/HST, Payroll, Corporate Tax, Personal tax, and probably much more. If you have a collections, compliance or audit issue with the CRA, inTAXicating is the place you need to contact. inTAXicating works in strategic partnership with amazing tax lawyers, insolvency practitioners, mortgage brokers, debt counselling experts and much more. When dealing with governments, knowledge is power. We possess strong understanding of government so we know what the next step is before the government does. When you have a collections problem with the CRA, do you hire a graphic artist? No, you get a former collector who trained the staff, and who worked as a resource officer for 5 years. Then you know you are on the right track to resolving your tax problem(s). Others offer suggestions. We offer solutions!

12 thoughts on “How to contact the IRS internationally – Updated 2012.”

  1. This is really bad! Whenever they want their money they will harass you but they make it so difficult to get the correct information. What a bunch of clowns!


  2. Morella is right on. These guys want U.S. citizens who live in Canada to file their taxes with the IRS EVERY YEAR, but they won’t give a contact phone number that works from here? CLOWNS.


    1. denis, what number did you call because i’m trying to get a hold of ANYONE and the numbers i’ve tried in austin or any other ones that are non-800 are not working!


    2. Would you send me the number to call the IRS with a tax question? I would like to call them from Calgary, Canada and can not seem to find a number.
      Thank you


  3. What a great service website this is. I just called : 915-342-5654 as listed above. I got v. good service w/o too much run around on the menu selections. I then asked for a number to phone with International Tax questions and was given: 267-941-1000. No the “1000: give me pause, usually these sorts of numbers have long and ineffective menus, however I have not yet needed to use the number. Just FYI.


  4. Helpful comments – I was fascinated by the info . Does anyone know if my assistant could acquire a template IRS 8917 version to type on ?


  5. I am an American citizen, currently residing in Germany.

    I am also a retired Airforce member, but I have yet to receive my 1099-R from the Airforce,

    consequently, I cannot file my 2016 tax report. I have written two letters to London, Kentucky

    to ascertain why I have not received my normal, annual 1099-R, but I have not received an answer.

    It is my understanding, that because I am currently residing overseas, I have until June 15 to file,

    before I incur any penalties, therefore, I require someone’s assistance to inform London, Kentucky

    to send me my hard-page copy of my 1099-R. I am NOT a member of MyPay. Here is my e-mail


    Thank you.


    Dennis P. Habern, Msgt, USAF, Retired


    1. Hi Dennis,

      You do have time, but you will need to be persistent.

      The filing deadline for expats is June 15th, unless a extension has been requested at which point it moves forward to October 15th. The deadline to pay taxes owing remains the same, April 15th.
      Most expats automatically qualify for a two-month filing extension.
      If you don’t pay the tax due by the April 15th deadline, the IRS will not assess a Failure to Pay Penalty if you file and pay by June 15th, but the IRS will charge you interest on any unpaid balance owing.


Would Love to Hear Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s