Business is booming!
I’m of two minds as I write this post.
First off, I am very excited that business is booming! Emails never stop coming in, social media questions, posts, inquiries roll in, and my phone does not stop ringing, but on the other hand I’m a bit disturbed that business is booming because it means that there are a lot of people in tax trouble with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), and they ALL need my help.
With that in mind, here are the 13 things about my tax solution business – and any other business offering tax services – that you need to know so that you can make an informed choice.
13. If you have a Revenue Canada collections problem, would it not make the most sense to take advice from a former Revenue Canada Collector? Someone who collected taxes, knows the ins and outs of the policy, procedures and legislation? How about if that person also served as a resource office whose job it was to prepare accounts for assessments and produce them to the Department of Justice? And what if that person also led teams and managed staff and projects in Collections? Then you would have the best possibly option representing your interests. Welcome to inTAXicating. That is what we do!
12. Accountants are awesome, and they are busy and you hire them to do accounting work, so they may not have the time to spend on the phone with the CRA negotiating your arrangement or trying to remove a garnishment. Or, they may get to a point where the CRA refuses to budge and you have no bank account to use. That is simply not acceptable!
11. I worked for the CRA for almost 11-years, and I started as an entry-level collector, worked my way up through collections and along the way I led teams, trained staff, and handled some of the most complex files in the Tax Office. I was the resource officer for 5-years, and the Employee of the Year in 2002. I was their go-to guy, and I still am. I’ll tell you like it is, and I’ll tell the CRA like it is.
10. If you have a tax / collections / CRA question, you can and should ask it here. I can tell you what the CRA is doing, and most importantly what they are going to be doing in the near future. Email me or send it through social media, and I’ll answer it personally.
9. Respect. Given… and Earned. I treat you with respect and I treat the CRA with respect, because nobody wants to work with a representative who calls them “taxman”. Trust me. Talk about starting a relationship off on the wrong foot…
8. I do not prepare tax returns. I will not recommend you go bankrupt, and I do not pretend to have an office of “former CRA agents” armed at your disposal. What I do have is a wonderful relationship with the best tax lawyer in Toronto, the best mortgage broker, CA’s, bookkeepers, financial planner, trustee plus my actual network of former colleagues at the CRA at your disposal.
7. You can hire me for an hour-long meeting after which I will give you a written report of our discussion along with my recommended course of action and the CRA’s probable plan of action. I will also tell you if you can handle it, and at what point you need to circle back to me.
6. I will not take you on as a client if you do not need my services. I have a reputation to uphold.
5. You can take advantage of my fixed fee service for the entire length of the tax problem(s) so that you have the piece of mind your matters are being dealt with and that when we speak that you are not on the clock. Questions need to be asked and answered, and resolving your tax problem is the only priority, not padding your bill.
4. Areas of expertise include; Collections, Enforcement, Liens, Director’s Liability assessments, S160 assessments, RTP’s, debt management, negotiation and not just limited to the CRA. I’ve fixed tax problems relating to Revenu Quebec, the IRS, Workers Comp (WSIB) and the CRTC.
3. My website sucks! Yes, it does because I’ve been too busy to provide the content to the web developer for correcting. I’m okay with it too, but I will be changing it, soon. My thought is that it’s better to have an adequate static website and spend my time solving tax problems, than spend millions of dollars a month on advertising then having to increase my fees so that you can pay my bills.
2. Some of the terms used to describe me and the services I perform are; x-taxer, priceless, unbelievable, compassionate, and informative, just to list a few descriptions of me and my business. I care.
1. I’m really good at what I do. I know the CRA better than they do, and I certainly know what the collectors can and cannot do. I fix tax problems and I enjoy it. I am passionate about tax. You might say I’m slightly inTAXicated.
So whether you just received a tax notice that you are not 100% sure about, or if you have a long history of being in Collections at the CRA, I can help you understand what you need to do. I can navigate you through a Director’s Liability assessment where I have saved firms hundred of thousands of dollars, or negotiate the removal of a lien so you can finalize a house sale or divorce. I can have your tax returns re-filed with correct figures to reduce balances, or bring your payroll up-to-date.
Two weeks ago a phone question resulted in a corporation not having to pay a $350,000 liability due to statute of limitations, and last week an hour long meeting uncovered 10 plus years of fraud being committed on a business by their CA.
Toronto-based but Canada-wide!