US Source Income IRS remitting and reporting rates and requirements.

IRS Remitting and Reporting requirements for U.S. sourced income securities:
•For a US holder that is W9 certified- no IRS backup withholding tax. They receive a 1099DIV form
•For a US holder without a W9 submitted – 28% IRS backup withholding tax needs to be deducted. They receive a 1099DIV form
•For a non-US holder that is W8 certified – IRS NRA tax will be deducted based on the maximum 30% rate or US treaty rate, if applicable – They recieve a 1042-S
•For a non-US holder without a valid W8 – 30% IRS NRA tax will be deducted. They receive a 1042-S.

Mutual Funds Tax Considerations – IRS

So what exactly is a capital gain?

There can be two sources of capital gains for a mutual fund shareholder: 1) Gains from Sales: If you sell or exchange your mutual fund shares, you must pay tax on any gains arising from the sale, just as you would from a sale of individual securities. Shares that are held one year or less are considered short-term and are taxable at the shareholder’s income tax rate. Shares held for more than 12 months are considered long-term and taxable at a reduced rate.
Tax Reporting: Redemptions of mutual fund shares are reported to you on Form 1099-B. Remember that redemptions from municipal bond funds are taxable transactions.
Gains from Distributions – Capital gains realized by the fund on sales of its portfolio securities are “passed through” to shareholders as distributions. These amounts are reported to you by the fund on Form 1099-DIV. Short-term capital gains are included in Box 1a of Form 1099-DIV. Long-term capital gains are identified on Form 1099-DIV, Box 2a.

Now for some Q&A.

Q: Why would I have to pay tax on a capital gain distribution when my fund’s share price has decreased?
A: Capital gain distributions occur independently of price fluctuations in a fund. A mutual fund is required to distribute annual income and/or capital gains to its shareholders. At the same time, changes in financial markets can cause the price of fund shares to go up or down.

Q: Do I pay taxes on reinvested dividends like a DRIP program?
A: Yes, DRIP’s are taxed the same as cash distributions.

Q: How do I report international fund tax information on my tax return?
A: You may be entitled to take either a foreign tax credit or an itemized deduction for the amount of the foreign taxes paid, as reported in IRS Form 1099-DIV, box 6. It is usually more advantageous for you to take the foreign tax credit. To file for the allowable credit, you may be required to complete IRS Form 1116 and attach it to your IRS Form 1040. (Please refer to IRS Form 1040 instructions for exceptions from filing IRS Form 1116 to claim a tax credit.) If you are required to file Form 1116, please refer to the Source of Foreign Gross Income and Taxes Paid table

Use the Foreign Gross Income and Taxes Paid table only if you are required to complete IRS Form 1116 to claim a credit for foreign taxes paid. To compute the per-country gross income for Form 1116, apply the gross income percentage from the table to the amount in box 1a of your IRS Form 1099-DIV. To compute the per-country tax paid for Form 1116, apply the foreign taxes paid percentage to the amount shown in box 6 of your IRS Form 1099-DIV.

Q: I’ve redeemed shares from my account. What do I need to know about calculating my cost basis?
A: First, chose one of the four methods, keep these key points in mind:

You must state on your tax return the cost basis method you have selected.
When no method is stated, the IRS presumes you are using the First-In, First-Out (FIFO) method.
No matter which cost basis method you choose, you may not change to another method without permission from the IRS.
Reinvested dividends or capital gain distributions add to the cost basis of your shares. These dividends purchase shares. Your confirmation statements show you the number of shares purchased and the price of those shares.
Return of capital gain distributions reduces the cost basis of your shares. If the fund distributes a return of capital, it will report this amount to you in Box 3 of Form 1099-DIV at the end of the year.
The average cost methods are available only for mutual funds. They are not acceptable for sales of other investments, such as individual stocks and bonds. Different methods may be used for different funds. However, you must use the same method for the life of the fund.
Transfers of shares due to gifts or inheritance may require different basis calculations. In these situations, please consult your tax advisor before using this cost basis statement.
If you sell shares at a loss and purchased shares in the same fund within 30 days before or after the sale, the IRS considers it a “wash sale” transaction and the loss must be deferred for tax purposes. The rules for wash sales can be very complex. It is recommended that you consult a tax advisor if you suspect you are in this situation.